Since I still had one of the throw away aluminum chafing dishes left over from last time it seemed perfect. As usual the problem was getting the quantities right.
The cabbage is a variation of smothered cabbage.
- 2 small heads red cabbage
- 2 lbs of thick sliced bacon
- 2 large onions
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 2 oz. lemon juice
- 2 oz. cider vinegar
- 5 lb. Bratwurst (about 20 links)
- 1 squeeze bottle of Zataran's Creole Mustard.
- Coarsely chop cabbage and discard core.
- Finely slice onion from the pole
- Peel, core and finely slice the apples.
- Chop bacon into 1" pieces.
- In a large cast iron skillet cook the bacon reserving the grease.
- In a large covered pot cook onions in bacon grease until translucent.
- Add apples and cook until tender.
- Add cabbage and toss until coated.
- Add salt, pepper, caraway seed, allspice lemon juice and vinegar, toss
- Cover and cook over low heat until cabbage is tender, toss occasionally.
- Transfer into serving pan and sprinkle bacon pieces on top.
- Seal with aluminum foil for transportation.
- Grill Bartwurst over a low charcoal fire, turning frequently
- Cut links in half.
- Seal in an aluminum serving pan for transportation, may be kept warm in a low oven.