Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What a Nightmare

The Saints are 13 and 2, have the best record in the NFC, have won the division and a first round bye but had get help to win home field advantage in the playoffs.

Some fans are upset that they lost two games. I don't know anyone who thought the Saints would win 13 games before the season started.

Of course if you listened to Fox announcers Sunday, you'd have thought the only reason Tampa didn't blow the Saints out was Tampa's mistakes, or that the Saints were the 2-12 team. I had much the same feeling last night. The announcers relentlessly criticized Jay Cutler and practically canonized Bret Favre. Funny thing is Cutler had a better QB rating and won the game he also didn't argue with his coach, although according to the "experts" Bret was right and the coach wrong. Favre seems to be reading his press clippings a little too much.

All this reminds me of the final scene from one of my favorite movies, My Cousin Vinny.


Vinny Gambini: My problem is, I wanted to win my first case without any help from anybody.
Mona Lisa Vito: Well, I guess that plan's moot.
Vinny Gambini: Yeah.
Mona Lisa Vito: You know, this could be a sign of things to come. You win all your cases, but with somebody else's help, right? You win case after case, and then afterwards you have to go up to somebody and you have to say, thank you.
[pause]
Mona Lisa Vito: Oh my God, what a FUCKING nightmare!

On WWL this morning some guy was hoping we didn't have to play the Colt's in the Super Bowl. I think we have a few other things to do first.

For example, Jeffrey over at the Yellow Blog has long noted the correlation between the Saints wearing black pants and poor on field performance. I suggest we have a public pants burning in Mid-City on New Years Eve. It might work as well as the trophy funeral they had a couple of years ago.

I suggest bringing back the Black Helmets.


The Saints wore black helmets during the 1969 preseason, but NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle barred the Saints from using the helmets during the regular season, since owner John Mecom*, Jr. did not notify the league office of the change.

I think I'm just going to enjoy the playoffs.

I wonder when my tickets will arrive.

*I also discovered that Wikipedia has no article on John Mecom Jr.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You need to start a "Burn the Black Pants" page on facebook!

mominem said...

I think that's Jeffrey's job.

Leigh C. said...

I have no problems with you starting a Burn The Black Pants - Bring On The Black Helmets page.

8-)