Thursday, January 14, 2010

Why I'm a Committed Independant.

The Orleans Parish Democratic Executive Committee endorsed the following candidates.
Troy Henry for Mayor
Arnie Fielkow and Cynthia Willard-Lewis for Council at-large
Susan Guidry for Council District A
Corey Watson for Council District B
Kristin Giselson Palmer for Council District C
Cynthia Hedge-Morrell for Council District D
Austin Badon for Council District E
Dwight McKenna for Coroner
Karen Carter Peterson for State Senate District 5
I am underwhelmed by their choices. With a few possible exceptions the candidates represent the status quo.

Troy Henry is a question mark, I have no idea what his real views are. He seems to me much in the mold of Nagin, an "executive" who's most critical function is to make deals with governments. That turned out well. I have heard he has a sort of "family legacy" due to his father's union positions. The recent eruption by Nagin and Da Chief seem directed at creating some buzz around him. The Mayor seemed to sort of endorse some of his positions and criticize his main African American opponent.

Susan Guidry is a potential new face who is running in a previously Republican district. She was endorsed by the current council member Shelley Midura. I have a great deal of respect for Midura. SInce I am in her district I would have voted to re-elect Midura.

I don't know about Kristin Giselson Palmer, it is mildly surprising she would be endorsed to replace a black council member. I don't know the inside story and it's not my district.

All of the rest are either long term politicians or members of long time political families, even though I will vote for some of them. It's not an auspicious reform slate.

I thought that one of the functions of a party Executive Committee was to recruit candidates to help the party win elections and govern. That doesn't seem to be happening.

2 comments:

Chris K said...

OPDEC did do the right thing in the assessor's race however. They endorsed Janis Lemle who, as far as I'm concerned, is the ONLY qualified assessor candidate running in that race (and OPDEC showed more balls than the falsely named Alliance for Good Government).

Really don't understand the Troy Henry choice however, except that there must be some bad blood with Mitch that we're not seeing.

mominem said...

I don't have that information.