Saturday, August 15, 2009

Shrimp and Grits Schlitz

I recently discovered that the Rouse's store on Carrollton carries Schlitz, the beer that made Milwakee famous. That's the only place I've seen it in years, so obviously I had to buy some. That Rouse's is the only local store I know of with a "beer room", a walk-in cooler with automatic doors so you can diver you grocery cart in and load it up. I found out I actually like Schlitz.


So when Dangerblond announced it was time for another Geek dinner I knew I had to share my discovery. She graciously agreed to host the thing at Chez Dangerblond.

These irregular gatherings of our motley krewe of local Internet gadflys are a lot of fun. Everyone brings something to eat or drink. The host has enough left over food and beer for a month or more.

For my part (in addition to the Schlitz) I brought my own version of the Low Country classic, Shrimp & Grits.
Lil Dizzie's has a similar dish they call Shrimp Grilliads. It seems to be all the rage with restaurants and cooking shows lately. I frequently make it at home, its fairly quick and very good. But I've never made in such a large quantity. I also never use a recipe, so it comes out different every time. Scaling it up was an adventure.

I discovered that some seafood store sell 5 lb. packages of cleaned shrimp.

I decided to go with that.

Here's what I ended up with;

Ingredients

Shrimp
  • 5 lb if shelled shrimp.
  • 2 sticks of butter.
  • 1 head of celery.
  • 3 lb of diced onions.
  • 2 heads of garlic diced.
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Celery Seed
  • McCormick's Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Grits
  • 4 quarts of water.
  • 1 quart of Jim Dandy Quick Grits.
  • 8 cups of shredded cheese.
  • 2 Chicken bullion cubes
  • 1 teaspoon of diced poblano pepper
  • Salt to taste - remember bullion cubes have a lot of a lot in them.
  • Pepper to taste.
  • 2 tablespoons of minced dried onion.
  • Celery seed
  • 2 tbs of diced Poblano peppers.
Cook the bring the water to a boil add seasoning (except for poblano peppers) and grits. Cook grits according to the directions. When grits are cooked add pepper and chees mix well.


While water is coming to a boil, melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat and add seasoning for shrimp. When you add grits to water add shrimp to butter and saute until cooked, adding the second stick of butter at the end.


Server in two large chaffing dishes. For the Geek Dinner I used a disposable serving set with a double bottom pan, wire stand and gel heater.

Everyone seemed to like them.

No comments: